Soda Bread Recipe
Spelt Soda Bread with Honey & Thyme
A lovely, healthy and very straight forward bread recipe, which has the added bonus of not requiring any rising or proving time! Perfect for making with kids. Celebrate Saint Patrick's Day in style with our savoury loaf.
Makes 1 medium sized loaf
- 170g self-raising flour
- 170g wholemeal spelt flour 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 2 tbsp ftesh thyme leaves 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 300ml buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 200C (fan) and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Lightly flour the paper and set to one side.
- In a roomy bowl and using a large spoon, mix together the flours, flaxseed, thyme leaves & salt; make a well in the centre.
- Pour the buttermilk and the honey into the well, and with a fork, gently mix together. You should be left with a slightly wet, soft dough – possibly with some flour ‘breadcrumbs’ at the bottom.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and bring together. Knead briefly for a couple of minutes, before bringing the dough into a round.
- Move onto your baking sheet and flatten slightly, before making a deep cross on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When it’s done, it should sound hollow when you tap the bottom.
- Serve to friends and family with a healthy spread of our smoked salmon pate on the top!
You can find our warm smoked salmon pâté online at Ocado.
Happy Saint Patrick's day Dipsters! Remember to tag us @thedipsociety if you post any of your delicious creations on social media!